View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
***Updated Fuse Pull info, confirmed***

Ok, I have been digging around and trying to confirm some info with dealers and GM members here on C5, as well as people I know who I trust can provide accurate info.

To make a very brief explanation of the fuse pull, for those who don't know, it's pulling the #5 and #20 fuses out of the cars fuse box and replacing them. The purpose of which is to reset the ECU to factory defaults. This can also be done at the dealer using the TechII or other similar dealer interface device with the car. I recapped my involvement recently in the Fuse Pull Aniversary thread. And there is a Fuse Pull Stickey in the technical forum that will give a ton of original info concerning the issue.

I had reported that the problem was being 'fixed' at the dealer level with a computer flash or ECU update. (So that the car would recognize the re-introduction of high Octane fuel automaticaly) Well this is not acurate information.

It's just been confirmed that there is no computer flash or update for the dealers to do. There is no 'fix', because there is nothing broken. We will need to have our cars taken to the dealer OR pull the fuses ourselves anytime we get bad gas or low Octane gas in them. IF you want the max performance out of your STOCK car.

Battery is not necessary. ONLY the fuses.

Unless they changed the entire computer on these cars during production, (No way that happened) it appears that ANY SS Camaro will need to have the ECU reset (by fuse pull, or at your dealer) after using low Octane gas. Again, if you want the max performance from your car.

I've had a lot of people swear to me lately that they have benefited from the fuse pull. It got me to asking around. I was of the understanding that it was addressed on the assembly line. Apperently it was not. What's to address? So YES even you 2011 guys will be affected should you use or inadvertantly use low grade gas.

This does NOT mean our cars are defective in any way. In fact quite the contrary. Many cars would be damaged if you used low octane fuel in them. Or have to be taken to the dealer to be fixed. Some drive like crap. Some will just shut down so engine damage won't happen. Ours will not only keep runnning, but automatically run at a safe level. We even have the option to run low grade fuel intentionaly if we want to.

We just have to have the dealer reset the defaults back to the factory levels. Not gonna go into the reasons and technical stuff here in the OP. There are too many people here who can speak more acurately than myself, but I just wanted to pass this info along so that everyone knows. I have been telling people wrong.

I just wanted to update to let everyone know.

Last edited by PQ; 08-03-2010 at 11:35 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote