View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
QC missed something-- AC Compressor making a whining noise under engine load

From mile 6 on the odometer I noticed a whining noise coming from my car at certain RPMs. I had a 200 mile drive home from Classic Chevrolet in Dallas to Austin. I heard the noise.. but seeing how I not haven't driven Camaro... or a manual sports car before I didn't pay too much attention.

Part way through my drive I noticed this whining noise would stop and come back and was related to engine RPM. It started to peak my interest. I could not place where the noise was coming coming from. I thought, well its either the rear end, the tranny, or under the hood. (really narrowed it down)

Having already bugged Tag that first trip home and since I was already going to go see SilverTurtle for the Buda, TX Cruise In I decided to get his opinion. Turtle is pretty much a genius and to my surprise he was stumped too... but only for a few minutes.

He heard the noise at 2g in 1st, at 2g in 3rd and even some in 5th gear. 'Ok' Turtle says, its not just a single gear. Then he revved it with the clutch in... and heard the noise. Alright.. so it is before the transmission.
We then popped the hood and he could tell right off the bat that it was coming from the AC compressor. Seeing how we are at 60 days straight of 100 degree weather my AC never gets shut off, so I never made that connection.

Off to the dealership. I took it in today,
the official diagnostic from Henna Chevrolet was that the internal bearings are not aligned properly and they are making noise, the whole unit needs to be replaced. It is safe to drive, and they did not have a compressor in stock or the belt (the belt has to be cut away to switch compressors), so I am gonna go pick it back up today and drop it off Sunday before I head out of town on business.

And I was kidding about QC, a bad AC Compressor that still blows out ice cold air would be a hard catch