View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Which is best for boosted power potential??

Have a question for you that know a lot more then I do about this subject. I have been researching my engine upgrade for a while now and have decided I want to go with an LSX block. That's about all I have decided. Do not care about the extra weight, want the strongest block I can get for the money and from the sounds of it, the LSX is pretty hard to beat.

I will be running a supercharger, right now have the Maggie but that is not a requirement. Would be nice to use it on this next long block but we will see.

My question is that I hear all the time that larger displacement makes it easier to make more power. But also hear that the 454 is not a good option for a boosted application.

What would be better then, take an LSX 376 block with 4.065" bore and add a 4.000" stroke to produce basically a 416-417 ci displacement.

OR

Get an LSX 454 block with 4.185" bore and basically destroke it by using a 4.000" stroke instead of the 4.125". This would make a 440 ci motor.

Everything I have read is that the 4.000" stroke is perfectly fine for boosted application as long as the block has cylinder walls thick enough to support the stress.

It would seem to me that a destroked LSX 454 block would handle the boost fine yet still offer the advantages of the larger displacement.

Anyway, educate me. Not looking to make huge boost, 10-15 lbs max. What would make the most streetable power, LSX 4.065x4.000 or LSX 4.185x4.000, all else being equal. I know there are a lot of variations to consider but just trying to figure out which is best for streetable power in the idle to 5500 rpm range where I run most often.

Basically looking to over build this engine simply for longevity more then anything.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote