View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #552
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Wow that really sucks but is the reality.

GM provides a warranty on the car as it is designed. So many people feel that the GM design is lacking and needs improvement but the reality is you get a warranty on that setup. A setup that took years to design I might add.

As modders we make a choice to change things. Some are because we are told that those changes are to correct flaws and others are performance mods.

I personally feel the catch can is a total BS product with little value at a high price. It goes nicely with some copper socks and a few "power crystals". Funny they were sold to the LSx cars as a MUST HAVE when I bought my LS3 Camaro and also my LSA ZL1. Now I have a DI car and the posts on the corvette forums says they were not needed on LSx due to injector port spray. Catch cans DO make more sense on a DI car but still think it is crap. I will stick with my 5 year 60K warranty over a CC any day. For me I don't keep my cars longer than 4 years anyway. The car has issues I will take it to the dealer for repair..... under warranty.

The moral of this story is drive a stock GM car if you expect to have a warranty.

As for this guy. I would try to negotiate a repair. Or pull the car from the dealership and have a aftermarket builder put a new motor in as I bet you can get better cheaper. (Cam upgrade time?) Also maybe someone in the forum has a spare motor? I know some guys have pulled the stock engine for a stronger block on some of the high HP builds.

Again sorry for the loss and good luck.
Back when i had my camaro, people always (probably still do) talked about catch cans. Threads on threads about how important it was. while my local performance shop was doing my cam install i mentioned catch cans. They really didn't think it was needed.

Now with the DI engine, we have threads on threads how important it is to run a catch can. I can understand the logic better on a DI engine because you want to stop the carbon on the back on the valves. Now that i learned about catch cans, and carbon build up. I think its kind of a waste to install a catch can on a under warranty port injection engine. really kind of sad, the OP got screwed for something he probably didnt even need. his engine proabably would have ran fine his entire ownership without one. then once a problem happens (oil pump failure) GM covers you.

I also heard that in about 4-5 years they are going to pretty much solve this problem with new tech. (this is talked about on the corvette forums). But you can count on once the carbon build up problem is solved we WILL have another type of problem to deal with. Always some kind of weak point with engines. Thats why its best to just buy the best car you can afford, enjoy it with a warranty. worry about bigger stuff in life.

I plan on not installing a catch can on my vette either.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote