View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6 IOM FlwMstr
Another LLT engine blown up....

Hopefully this thread will help other Camaro owners out there where they by LS, LT or SS or higher. Also I am hopeful that by documenting this, all will go well with a warranty resolution with my dealer.

Back on March 22, 2013 I bought my 2010 2LT RS used from a used car lot that sells Mercedes and Porches. It had been for sale on their lot for several months as an outcast from their high end inventory and I was able to get it for a fantastic price of 22K. It is by far the best and smoothest ride I have ever had. At that time, the oil was full but was dark in color. I ended up doing an oil change at Jiffy Lube on early Saturday morning on Apr 7, 2013. Jiffy Lube mentioned that the oil was 3/4 down. Odd since I had just checked it the day before and it was full. When I left, I forgot to ask and/or they forgot to give me the receipt.

In May someone rear ended me causing $6300 damage but that is another story. Perhaps I should do a thread on that some day to explain the diminished value clam and settlement I pursued on that.

3000 miles after the oil change on Sept 11, 2013 I started hearing an annoying buzz/rattle whenever I would decelerate from 2500 to 2000 RPM. There was no shake to the car. No vibration in the stick. Just a loose sounding piece of metal that I envisioned as being 8" big or so vibrating at certain RPM. I would stop and rev the car in the driveway and no rattle. It only would happen under load.

I started reading on the forum. Several posts led me to think that a heat shield was loose in the tunnel and that the pipes were only rattling something around when under load. I put the car on jacks and checked for loose metal and found a few suspicious things but nothing definitive. I brought the car down and went for another test drive same rattle.

On Sept 14, 2013 I took my friend who tunes and rebuilds Audis full time and he without prompting he said he thought it was something loose in the exhaust system. I put it up on jacks and did the baffle check even though it doesn't really apply since I have FlowMasters. I was stumped. I checked the oil and it was full and has 3000 miles since the last change.

On Sep 19, 2013 while on this subsequent drive, the noise was back. I was dumbfounded and mad that I couldn't figure it out for myself and resolved that I would have to bring it into the dealer and expected/imagined that I would have to pay out several hundred dollars and get no resolution.

I drove another 2 miles and started loosing 20% of my power on acceleration. Then the rattle would happen even without load. It sounding like some small ticking but not major at all. Then 1/4 of that it got loud and definitely sounded like a rod banging around. My guess now is a some serious rod/bearing issue. I stopped where I was, called AAA and had it towed to the local dealer at 11:30 pm.

The next afternoon I called the dealer and the service manager apologized for not getting back to me sooner but that he knew that the district service manger was coming by and he wanted to show him the car and see if it would be covered on warranty. He said it would not because the last time that car fax had an oil change recorded was March 27, 2012 (Note almost a full year before purchase date) and that GM wants the oil changed at least ever 12K miles. [Edit] He also mentioned that there was no oil on the dip stick. [End Edit]. I told him that I did get an oil change right after I bought it and that I would go to Jiffy Lube and get the receipt.

Going to Jiffy Lube, the guy there was fantastic. He spent 5 minutes looking for it on his computer and said that he could not locate it but would have to look in his paper files upstairs. I waited for another 20 minutes and success. He found the original recipe and the yellow copy that normally is given to the customer. I thanked him and was off to the dealer.

Now the weird thing on the receipt is the number of screw ups. They had misspelled my last name, put in a completely wrong license plate number (probably because I have no front plate) and there was no VIN number on the receipt. Fortunately it does have my address and it does list a 2010 Camaro and I paid with Visa. But also the receipt says no oil on the dipstick and sludge in the oil. What the??? Jiffy had told me 3/4 missing and they had told me nothing about sludge.

I got to the dealer and he made a copy of the receipt. Hopefully I will hear good news on Monday.

Last edited by NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks; 09-23-2013 at 09:21 AM.
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks is offline   Reply With Quote