View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #5275
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I always understood the hardest thing on an engine is starting it...Parts moving with no oil pressure. I can't get my head around this start/stop "technology". It has not been around that long...Is there any concern about premature or wear and tear from it?...I would think it would lower the overall longevity of any engine that has it.
Cold starts are hard on an engine. All the oil has drained to the pan, the oil is thicker because its cold, and parts don't fit quite right.

But warm starts do almost nothing and the wear caused by restarting the engine is offset by the wear caused by not running the engine for a few seconds. And if you're sitting for 30 seconds or more, you're causing less wear by turning it off & restarting it than by just leaving it running.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote