View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #5278

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Cold starts are hard on an engine. All the oil has drained to the pan, the oil is thicker because its cold, and parts don't fit quite right.

But warm starts do almost nothing and the wear caused by restarting the engine is offset by the wear caused by not running the engine for a few seconds. And if you're sitting for 30 seconds or more, you're causing less wear by turning it off & restarting it than by just leaving it running.
That makes sense...but still, the starter itself has to work, what 1000% more often?....10,000% more often? Are starters nowadays that much more heavy duty?....The technology was hard enough to keep a car running...now they can't wait to shut it off and re-start it...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
When I was researching if it could be deactivated on my dad’s new Envision, it said it wouldn’t shut off if the A/C was on. Thinking I found a trick to bypass it since they decided to not allow owners to actually decide how their vehicle should work after paying for it and all, I tried it. Nope. Even with the A/C on it still shut off. Thud. Then the vibration starting up to the next light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I have a 17 Malibu, 1.5L with start stop and I do not like it. The starter noise drives me nuts, and the little thud when it starts again. I had a 2007 Saturn Vue with different version of start stop and it was much better. I loved the Vue, but the battery replacement was going to kill me. I changed the batteries twice while it was still under warranty so I decided to sell the car before It was on my dime.

The only vehicle I ever used with start-stop was a gas powered golf cart...lol...great idea and worked good on that....Staying away from it for as long as possible in regular car...

My neighbor has a new Traverse, and they hate the start stop. They mentioned it is worse when running the A/C...It will stop and start several times at a light just to keep the A/C running....The way they "defeat it" is putting the trans in neutral just before coming to a complete stop. Not fun...lol...

At a crowded red light I always hear several cars starting up when it's time to go...I still look around to see who's car may not move from being "stalled out"....lol...Oh well, technology marches on.....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote