View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?
Opti-Coat is an after market ceramic clear coat very similar to what is applied at the factory. It chemically bonds with the factory paint and essentially becomes the car's new outer clear coat.

Because it's forms a permanent layer over the existing finish, it's important to do any paint correction prior to it's application. I just had it applied to my car by a professional detailer last week. It cost me $500 ($200 for the paint correction + $300 for the Opti-Coat). You can apply it yourself. Cost is around $70 for a 20 mL syringe.

I chose to have a professional detailer apply it because I wanted to make sure the paint was properly corrected before application. The guy told me he spent almost 7 hrs polishing my car before he applied the Opti-Coat. And this is on a car with less than a 1000 miles that I only hand wash using a foam gun and two bucket method. I suspect most of the paint problems were caused by the dealer prep.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of my car after the Opti-Coat application
Attached Images