View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #146
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
pat_t

Thanks for the front wing info, noticed those on your car a wile ago and wondered who's they were or custom. Did you actual weigh the difference stock vs fiberglass? Also how was those to install, did they fit like the OEM or was there some tweeking like most aftermarket panels?

I'm with you on the fact that straight line stuff does get boring and it could never replace open track day type driving experience (at least for me) but with how popular these 1 mile events have become it is something I want to try a couple times. Fact is for me I like seat time and the open track days events that you get 20-30 min. session's is where you can really connect with your car and get into the groove, find your limitations and work on improving those...almost like becoming one but these are the things that as you know you don't experience with any straight line stuff.....hard to explain but you know what I'm saying.

Coming from a ZL1 that was the very first thing I noticed was the big change in the overdrive ratios and thought now why did they do that with such a performance car and I know most tracks (like you said) you never see 5th gear, cafe standards, bean counters, or EPA standards who knows but if they put a more closly matched overdrive gear ratio in the ZL1 why not the Z/28?? Take a look at the Nurburgring video when the Z/28 came out and clearly you can see at the high speed part of the track when shifted to 5th gear that RPM did not fall out of the peek power range like it would have with the production gear 5th gear. Just my obsevation but from that alone tells me that car had the .80/.63 5th/6th gear ratio from the ZL1 and not the .74/.50 that made its way into the production Z/28....does this mean they didn't sell us what they tested or advertised to us....who knows but the good part is I got you to stop and think a little!
I could go on about this topic but all I'm going to say is .50 6th gear is useless to me, even cruising highway speed just makes the car feel like you want to shift back to 5th to smooth out the engine some... small talk yeah I know

Keep posting pictures of your car and what you are doing with it, love what your doing over there with it and I don't thing Im the only one that agree's

have a great day
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote