Thread: Oil question
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
Witt51

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Just make sure you have good crank end play...on the engine stand, after driveline install, and then again after some driving. Many check it on the engine stand... but never again. Checking it after clutch and trans install, you'll know right away if something is wrong if you lost all the end play. Same with after driving it some... if that end play is growing like crazy, problem.

Thrust bearings should experience very little wear if everything is installed correctly. In an auto trans car, wiping out the thrust bearing is a common result from too high trans line pressure shoving the torque converter forward. Or a cheap TC can balloon under extreme use. In my BBC drag car I had the trans shop that built my Powerglide do some pump mods that reduced line pressure. That stopped my thrust bearing wear on that car. The shops that build drag racing Powerglides and TH400s know exactly what to do to prevent excessive trans line pressure.

In a manual trans car, just have to be real careful... using the correct pilot bearing, bellhousing is centered to the crank and nothing is forced together. Recheck end play a few times and if it is staying stable, you're golden.
Do I check it with a prybar and a rubber mallet? Just see if there is some movement? On engine stand it was good but now it's in the car so I will check again. Is there a certain method that works best to install it? Should I just keep trying to put the transmission in until it slides in nice and easy?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Witt51 is offline   Reply With Quote