View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
drykard

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS, Manual
I know this is an old thread, but anyone looking for ideas on how to install their radio (Amateur Radio) equipment - this is what I did and it is working pretty good. I installed a Yeasu FT-857D head unit on a ProClip mount #834377. No problems shifting or lifting the cigarette adapter plug/flap - and its wife approved! Had her sit down in the passenger seat first to make sure her knees would clear - The radio itself is mounted on a ******** amp board in the trunk, passenger side. For the antenna - I used a Diamond HRKS adhesive SO-239 mount with thin coax. I chose a Comet SS680 dual-band VHF/UHF antenna instead of a Comet SSB-5 (both will work) the SS680 is a bit smaller (27 inches). My SWR on 2m is around 1.1 on 147.00 and goes up to 1.3 around 145.00 - I can live with that. Haven't tested SWR on 70cm. Reports into repeaters over 40 miles away are good. I ran the coax through a small gromet, I believe is used to equalize air pressure when closing the door....had to make a few small knife cuts here, then covered with duct tape. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

drykard is offline   Reply With Quote