View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #2279
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Wow man that's awesome! I want to look into it further to add it to mine.
What customization did you do to your fogs ?
Let me know if you need any pointers on the wiring. The fog halo's are made from EL wire. It's easy stuff to work with, but it's not as bright as neon. Looks great at night, but you can't see it in the day. (Although they are a cool fluorescent green that has an nice glow of it's own in the sun.) Here's what they looked like before I installed them:

Unlit
Name:  Halo 04.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  83.8 KB

Lit
Name:  Halo 05.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  68.1 KB

On the car
Name:  Halo 01.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  149.9 KB

Both the halos and bowtie are run from the same inverter, which is controlled by an inexpensive remote control module I bought on Amazon. Once again- no drilling required!

After designing these and installing them I discovered that my Synergy was something of an anomaly among Camaros. The fog light housings (DRL if you have an RS.) sit back in the bezels about a quarter inch. The resulting gap forms a groove that the EL wire, which is flexible, fits in perfectly. There are no fasteners on my halos: They seat in just like an O ring. Every other Camaro I have looked at since, does not have this gap. The housing butts up flush against the bezel. I have no explanation. But it has hindered any requests I've had to install them on other's cars. I'll have to take one apart to figure it out someday. Otherwise, I've been wracking my brains to figure out an alternative way to mount them for other people.

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote