View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #133
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Well, it obvious that GM has played the SS and Z/28 game a number of times over the 5 generations. How about really stirring the pot with the IROC in Gen 3. It boils down to there is only one Chevrolet to ever carry the Z/28 name, that being the Camaro. There was the feeble attempt of giving it's weak sister the Cavalier the Z/24 name. But since 1961 the SS name has been doned and tainted on many unworthy models.

You can bet the next Z/28 will have a different engine than the SS and never be used on another model.
IROC would be weird to bring back. They don't even run the "International Race of Champions" anymore, nor does anyone really care about that race's history to warrant bringing it out of retirement (although I admit, I loved the IROC when it came out, and didn't give a crap about the race series).

Z/28, RS, and SS are all Chevy badges to do with what they will. The "Z" numbers were (are?) just generic trim/package codes created by some accountant or bean counter. "Rally Sport" and "Super Sport" are just marketing terms, sort of like "GTO" = "Gran Tourismo Omlogato" i.e. homlogated touring (race) car, but that wasn't really the case. I'm sure some Camaros ended up in rally races, but they weren't homologation specials like what RS means in Europe.

What's most important is they were on cool cars, and that's what people remember. And GM is making cool enough cars to put those badges on again without being sacrilegious. The LS1 Z/28 had a great motor but that's about it. Apparently GM is waiting for the right time to put that badge on the 5th gens, because it's been considered the pinnacle of Camaro-ness, so they don't want to blow their wad too soon in the battle against the Mustangs.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote