Thread: Pricing
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #17
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
So then the question becomes, what happens if the cars just sit on the lots? At some point do they go to auction? There has to be a point where the dealer just wants to dump the car and take the loss, or is that not true? If the new 2017s weren't right around the corner (and the new Z/28 still hasn't been officially revealed) I'd be more apt to pay closer to MSRP. I totally get it's a business, and I'm sure it varies dealer to dealer since some folks have reported amazing deals. The bottom line is the dealer wants a certain amount and they have every right to sell at that price. I have a friend who's a sales manager at the local Dodge dealer. They have a 2014 Viper that has been there forever. $140k MSRP. He says the owner wants it gone and would probably take less than a hundred thousand for it. That was kind of my gauge for thinking I could get a Z/28, especially a 2014, for a rock bottom price. Good info all around so appreciate the input. I don't see it happening, and I may look back and regret it.....the other X factor is the wife.....who would freak if I traded my ZL1 in after only having it for a little over two years. I know, I know, I need to grow a pair......just don't want to sleep on the couch for six months.....
It's up to the dealer to sell the car for whatever they want, if they think they can get all the money for it then they will be sitting on the car forever and then maybe finally get wise and dump the car in another year and lose $30k. New cars rarely go to auction when they are unsold, now used cars yes, dealers typically move that inventory every 45-60 days.

I remember talking to my brother about the last Z/28 they had at their store and they marked it down when the 20% was out and sold it in 3 days, but some dealers also think the internet has no relation to their business and they can sell distressed merchandise at MSRP. If you search you will find someone willing to move the car at a big discount.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote