View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #83
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorehp View Post
I wanted to ask a general knowledge question about a repair which was done by GM (Chevrolet) certified service shop here in Texas. The vehicle has 115000 miles and the rear driver side axle seal on the differential was leaking, I maintain the leak over the weekend by adding gear oil until I can get it to the shop. The tech of the shop mention some rear axle noise to his service director when he just told me but anyhow; was charge to have both seal replaced and top off with gear oil which they state the noise improved ( these are the words of the director). So I paid my dues and was on my way, on my way about 47 miles of driving I started to hear a knocking/rumble while taking a curve then a loud grind from my rear, and the vehicle came to a screeching stop in the middle of the road. I got out and noticed the rear of my vehicle was cover in gear oil splatter like before from the last seal leak, when I got under the car and took the best video I could which showed both replaced seals were leaking. Now the service shop whom replaced the seals and did the labor is stating I had a preexisting problem which cause the axle gears to be stripped to blow both seals (lol). My question is have you every hear such a thing where this is plausible???? Don't know if anyone with differential knowledge could help but I've ran out of online information about this, and my only thoughts are that the seals were probably replace poorly, incorrectly or technician error resulting in a greater leak cause the differential/ axle gears to become a bigger out of pocket expense. Helpppp
I've been a mechanic for 36 years and from what your saying. It's sounds like both seals installed for sure was poorly done. as far as rear end noise you said the shop noticed rear end noise? Did he test drive it? and if he did was that after or before the repair? if before repair was the fluid low? how long after bringing it in did they test drive it? maybe to much leaked out before driving. They should of test drove it also after the repair if he said he heard rear end noise. To make sure the leak was done properly and the noise he heard was gone. The question too was there damage done before you brought it in? When you filled the diff up did the rear end noise go away? if not all the way but sounded better then. more likely there was some damage because the fluid leaked out to much while driving it yourself. I would say regardless after driving 47 miles and both seals leaking. And for the rearend to lock up was because all the fluid leaked out. Thats on the repair shop. There just trying to get out out of it seems. Challenge them for sure. maybe even small claims if they don't own up to it. Get another expert opinion and tell him what happened. And get in writing his thoughts and challenge the dealer.
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote