View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 AM   #25
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
The catch can is spliced into the line that goes directly into your intake manifold. The oil that ends up in the can was on a direct path into the intake system. No doubt about it. Does the can catch everything? No. But he would have had those 6-8oz's circulating through the manifold if he didn't have the can. When I first saw this thread, I was thinking that it was the Penzoil that was crap. And really, your pics don't do much to change my impression of that.
In my opinion, the pics that Kenny posted seem to show excessive build up for only 8k miles. I don't see how an oil could be responsible for that unless it was a cheap non-synthetic. He had them blasted perfectly clean with his walnut shell method just a year ago. I don't know about you, but this has me concerned.

I don't know what the deal is with the Elite guy that posts here, but he doesn't seem to be too interested in responding back to clarify this issue. Heck, he can't even respond to my inquiries if the check valves are needed on a non-boosted application. The Elite engineering website says no, but he seems to recommend them even on a N/A setup with the E2X two suction source catch can. Makes it kind of confusing if you know what I mean.

Since Kenny doesn't have the clean-side separator on his car, is that why he suffered the kind of build up he witnessed in only 8k miles? I have the clean-side separator on mine, but no check valves. Maybe I should rent a borescope and check mine. However, with my super low miles, I don't think I would be a very good test candidate to determine if these catch cans really work as well as we're told they do.

Maybe Kenny needs the PCV drill mod? However, I believe most of the LFX's in '13 already had the larger orfice opening that the earlier models had an issue with. If it is truly the oil that makes all the difference, which I don't really see unless you never changed it or you used some cheap non-synthetic, what kind is the best?

I'm currently using Mobil 1 fully synthetic and changing mine every 3-5k miles or 12 months, which ever comes first. However, since I don't even have 5k miles on mine yet, I'm using the 12 month schedule.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote