Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Confused.

Can you send me to a source so I can learn more about this?
wiki's as good as any http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...rade_Agreement

The North American Free Trade Agreement was set in place to allow for . . . free trade in north america. Before NAFTA trade tariffs (basically taxes on imports) protected local industries. For example, the old system helped things like forrestry operations in washington state against the cheap import of lumber from british columbia. Mexican farmers could supply mexico with food. It was all about self sufficiency.

However, most of that gets thrown out the window with NAFTA. NAFTA makes it less expensive to import things. a lot of manufacturing went south to mexico. The general consensus is that Mexico came out on top because they got lots of jobs. The people in Corporate America won too, because mexico is cheap. Blue collar workers in Canada and the US lost because of the transfer of jobs to Mexico. Thats the jist of it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote