View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #44
Synner

Drives: cars
There's so much paranoia in this thread. The tires were meant to make the car mostly neutral as an OEM car. No manufacturer makes a car that will oversteer because of morons who don't know how to drive it killing themselves. Thats why most reviews say understeer is still present but lessened. An OEM designed car and a race car optimized for the track are vastly different. The more tire you can get in a balanced or mild oversteer situation depending on preference is best for racing. You can only brake as fast as your tire will let you. You can only pull as many g's as your tires will let you. If everyone is so scared to mod a car then leave it stock and don't race it because you'll be breaking stuff. And then you'll put a stock part back on versus upgrade to a better than OEM part not designed by an OEM engineer for a mass produced car at a mass produced price? I can power steer way faster through a turn than a car maintaining a mild understeer can, give me more tire and I will do it faster still.

For many people the 1LE will be more car than they'll ever use and stock is fine. For a few people the answer to the question of how fast do you want to go will always be faster. Those people don't rely on OEM engineers to make their mod decisions. Why pull 1g when you can pull 1.2? Or 1.4? Put slicks in 285 size and you can easily do 1.2 or more. Put 305 slicks on and you can brake that much later, that much harder, carry speed better through a turn, and greatly increase exit speed. The stock brembos can lock up the wheels when braking hard. Using track pads will make it even easier, you fix that with wider or stickier tires. You can buy wheels that can shave almost double digit poundage off each corner. You're driving a big V8, power is not the issue. Traction is. Yes a wider tire increases drag. Bad for gas mileage and would probably tip the car into gas guzzler tax territory because OEM's needs to use cheaper mass produced wheels, deal with mileage ratings, and therefore can't reduce the weight to make up for it. Bad for commuters but great for the track.

Listening to an OEM engineer for whats best for a race car is like listening to a politician for whats best for the country. What you get is a deeply twisted perspective based upon whats best for them and their situation. Sorry if I offend anyone but use a little independent thinking and do some research on race suspensions.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote