View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
DIY - Valentine V1 Radar Detector Installed to Rear View Mirror

I just finished installing my V-1 to my rear view mirror and it turned out great.

I used two products for the installation I got off eBay. First I used a "Stealth Mirror Cord" from Safe-N-Sound1 because it has smaller wires to push into the back of the connector than the inviscord which has to be filed down to fit. Then to attach my V-1 I used a mount from Blend Mounts. The mount was expensive, I also got the one that is hinged, but it gave the best mounting flexibility for adjustments on the install and I didn't mind spending a little more and doing it right the first time for my Camaro.

First using a #20 torx undo the mirror and slide it up the windshield bracket to remove it from the windshield. Then there is a two piece plastic cover over the connector and wire that goes to the mirror this will pull away from the windshield and down from the roof. To release the power connector take a small screw driver or pointed object and push in the release pin on the front of the connector and it will come right off.

You should now have the mirror completely removed.

Next you'll need to connect the Stealth cord. On the side of the connector closest to the metal winshield bracket is where you'll push in the Stealth cord wires. On one end you'll see a black and white striped wire, push the black stealth cord wire into the back of the connector where this striped wire goes in. On the opposite side of same row of wires there is a red wire which is one wire back from the end, there is a green wire on the end. Push the red stealth cord wire into the back of the connector where the red wire goes in. It's a little tight to get the red wire back in there, but use some thin needle nose pliers and take your time.

I then reconnected the connector to the car and fired up the V-1 to make sure the connections were good before I went on.

Next I used two cable ties to tighten the stealth cord to the existing wires to secure the connection.

I then installed the Blend Mount to the mirror and headed to the car to reinstall the mirror adjust and tighten it all up.

Everything went together fantastic and it looks great, for me this is much easier and cleaner than messing with running wires to the fuse box and/or cutting an soldering wires.

Now here are my pictures:

Red wire inserted into back of bracket into existing red wire slot next to Green wire, it's hard to see but there are two red wires in this slot.

Black wire into black and white striped wire slot

Cable tie the wires

Ready to reinstall

Plastic covers back over connector

Front View

Left Side

Right side

Second view Right Side

I hope this helps some of you with your radar detector installation.

Clutch

Last edited by ClutchKargo; 11-25-2009 at 05:52 AM.
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote