View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
Drw814

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Burning coolant smell in cabin

Hello everyone, first time posting on here. I have a 2010 2SS 6 speed with 9,300 miles. My father bought the car from a dealership this past January, and I bought it from him in August of this year.

Just this Monday (10/29) I brought the car to my mechanic for an oil change. I’ve been going here for years with a variety of different cars. I picked up the car Monday night and drove home no big deal. Then Tuesday morning I’m headed to work. As I’m driving I keep getting hints of burning coolant smell. I get my fist real smell at a red light where I was siting for a while. Then I notice it again parking at dunkin, and again parking at work. When I’m at speed it seems I can’t smell it, but if I stop or move slowly in a parking lot it smells.

I’ve never smelled any coolant smell before this Monday. Upon reading it seems these cars have a running issue with leaky heater cores, but I don’t know if that’s my issue. I would find it very coincidental that the heater core would start leaking at <10k miles the day after I brought it to my shop. I called the shop and asked if they did anything involving coolant, and they said they topped it off with dexcool. I told them I’m smelling coolant and they told me to check for any leaks and bring it back if necessary. Is it possible they overfilled it and the car is burning the excess? If it is the heater core, my car has a bumper to bumper warranty until mid January 2019. Should I contact the dealer, or wait to get some concrete data? The dealership is about an hour away.

Now it’s Thursday, the car is not visibly leaking anywhere, no puddle under the car, or anywhere I can see in the engine bay. The grommet where the hose from the radiator enters the overflow tank was dislodged, so I reinstalled it but that didn’t help. I checked the overflow dipstick and it looks like the coolant is at the correct level. I am most likely going to bring it to the shop and see if they can find anything, but is there anything I can check myself beforehand? I’d rather not spend $2k on a heater core on a car I just bought with 9000 miles. I crawled in the passenger footwell and none of the carpet is damp, and I don’t see any signs of fluid anywhere in the above hvac unit.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Drw814 is offline   Reply With Quote