Thread: ls3 power cap?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Obviously your opinion is weighted with your knowledge/ownership of a Cobra - that's fine. But without any factual data on the LS3, it's just opinion. Not slamming, just separating facts from opinion. The 5.4 S/C IS a great motor. The LS3 has limits as does the 5.4. But it's never truly an apples to apples comparison.
Well, the facts are, and this is not really up for debate, a stock LS3 motor can only support a certain level of power before it breaks or becomes unreliable. We can debate all day what that number might be, but you cannot debate that the stock 5.4L engine that comes in the GT500 will support much more power before it reaches a similar breaking point.

Yes, absolutely you can build a LS3 with forged internals that will support as much, if not more, than the stock 5.4L engine, but there is a cost associated with doing so. Could you have a SS Camaro making more horsepower than a GT500 with a total cost (price to get into the vehicle, parts, labor, dyno time for tuning, tune cost, etc.) than what it would cost you to buy a 2010 GT500? Sure, but I would hazard to say the difference would be much less than you think it would once everything was added up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
I know a guy that put an $8,000 procharger on his LS2 '07 Vette and he's pushing somehwere around 538hp to the wheels...
I know a guy who put a $5800 Kenne Bell on his otherwise bone-stock GT500 and made over 650rwhp on 93 octane and the largest pulley (i.e. the least boost) that comes with the kit. (3.25", for the record). In fact, I know many who have done the same with equal or better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
From Evils post, I just got that the 5.4 comes with a built engine from the factory and you can boost it much higher because of this which will result in bigger HP / TQ ..... You would have to do a lot more to the LS3 to match the HP you can make with stock internals 5.4 engine in the Gt500 ...

I think all of the above would be fact and not speculation ..

I think Evil was also not replying to the OP . he was replying to the post from HOOY that says:

"The GT500 will pale in comparison to a blown LS3... You'll love it. "

Crowley
I would agree with that assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
.. but i did read somewhere the stock injectors max out around 680hp... but thats about the only thing holding it back from 700 with bolt on's lol
Hmmmm...I make more than that at the wheels on my stock injectors and I'm nowhere close to their max duty cycle. I know there are GT500's making over 800rwhp on the stock injectors, too.

Last edited by garagelogic; 04-08-2009 at 04:29 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote