View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
CamaroSS45
Annihilator

Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Let me try and answer your question - since I do have "both" on-hand although the display on the Scosche is now toast....

It is the same pin insert where you see the 3.5 connector feeding back to. However - I tried to tap into that connection and map it to the SWC and still can't get it to respond..... However - it seems that those other users with the Scosche kits are having the same issue, so not sure even if we have the proper pin/cable mapping if we have the fix.

Let me know if this helps you at all - but I tried this prior to reading your post and am hung up on this as well.

Curious what your intended fix was? ...

Many need help on this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill7784 View Post
This thread is for those of you who want to use the Alpine dash kit with a non-Alpine head unit. While the kits are essentially the same, there are a couple fundamental differences which pose a bit of a problem.

Let’s talk wires – The Alpine kit does not maintain the more universal wire colors of the Scosche kit. There are really only two oddball wires that one need be concerned with. On the head unit side, the audio interrupt lead is pink/black (Scosche kit is solid brown). The reverse light lead is orange/white (Scosche kit is violet/white).

On the GM LAN bus side, there are two bundles of wire. Yellow/blue is the parking brake lead. Yellow/black is the foot brake lead. Pull them out of the wire bundle and toss them away. Just run your parking sensor lead from the head unit to a chassis ground.

Now for the problem – The Alpine kit assumes you are using an Alpine head unit, and therefor only supplies the 3.5mm male jack for steering wheel controls. For those of us who use another brand head unit, there is no support. The light blue/yellow SWC line from 24 pin connector is absent. What I really need to know is which spot on the Scosche version of the 24 pin connector houses the light blue/yellow SWC wire. After that, it’s a simple fix.

Final observation – both Alpine and Scosche kits assume you are running without amplifiers. They have you use the speaker level leads from the head unit to supply source signal. Bad choice if you are amplified! Those lines send entirely too many volts to the amp and cause a lot of static and hiss. The solution to this is simple. Instead of attaching the wiring harness supplied by Alpine or Scosche to the line level speaker wires, just buy two sets of RCA cables. Hack off the female end and attach them to the proper colors on the wire bundle. Plug the male end into your pre-outs from the head unit.

Hope this helps someone. If anyone can help with the SWC issue, please chime in!
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote