View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #116
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Passions are high right now, so I'm securing this discussion.

Before I do that, I'm going to get some last words in here. I was devastated to hear of the Oshawa plant closing. Besides the Camaro heritage there, Oshawa's hard workers have been a key component in the success of General Motors over the years. It has been a pleasure driving my Canadian-built Camaro SS for years now, and my heart breaks for those families who will be unexpectedly out of work.

In retrospect, perhaps this has been fairly predictable. As discussed in this thread, the factory has slowly lost production over the years, and no factory is operating a maximum efficiency without full shifts and all machines running. I don't believe Oshawa has been at maximum efficiency for some time, and it's not because the hard-working people of Oshawa have failed. The market has turned, and GM made production choices that hurt our northern neighbors.

The car industry has changed greatly over the years. Just in the last two decades, we've seen a surge in technology and luxury features in everyday cars, we've seen enormous increases in cost of ownership, and we've seen significant volatility in the market caused by issues ranging from war, oil prices, steel prices, tariffs, free trade, white collar crime, mergers, and numerous other politically charged topics that we shouldn't discuss in a friendly community that should work in harmony.

For that reason and others, I'm shutting this discussion down so we can go back to talking Camaros as one unified group of Camaro enthusiasts.
warn 145:159 ban