View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #75
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Spare the rod and spoil the child.

When I built my first hot rod engine in high school I had help from one of my father's friends. When we completed the job we took it for a test drive. After we verified there were no leaks, double checked the timing and re-torqued some bolts it was time to see if we did it right. We warmed all the fluids as measured by old school 'mechanical' gauges and headed to a deserted stretch of highway for the TEST. Idle at a dead stop to red line straight through the gears! Then a cool down at 50 for a minute. Drop a gear and pound through to red line in each gear. Cool down. Back to just under red line and hold it, bang shift to just under redline and hold it. We did this for 30 minutes and then drove back to my home garage. He told me my new engine was bullet proof unless I over revved it. If it was going to break, it would already be broken. We changed the oil and filter with subsequent changes at 500 mil intervals for the first 3,000 miles. I sold that car with 130K on that engine

Taking a brand new car to the track requires just a bit of extra care. Bedding your brakes at the track is a great way to warm the lubricating fluids in your new car. After the cool down, in your next session use the first three laps to warm them back up. Your new car is now ready to go all out or as fast as all out is with your comfort level at the track. Run three hard laps. Keep your on on the oil and water temp. Back off no matter what they read. Don't push it. Run a cool down lap or two. Switch to cool down laps IMMEDIATELY if you see the temps getting too high at any time.

5th Gens are BUILT. They don't melt in the rain. They are durable on the track. There is no need to baby the BULLY you own.
This is by far the most inspirational post I've read so far on this forum. Thanks JusticePete, thanks Camaro5 and thanks Becky!

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote