View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #32
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
As far as the steering wheel, the complaint is that it's too big. I think the same thing about the wheel in my Mustang -- too big. I drove a friend's BMW M S54 roadster, and now I know what a proper sports car steering wheel should be like. It may seem like a minor nitpick unless you've experienced a good one, but OTOH, what part of the car are you more in contact with every time you drive it?

I'll just say that the 2010 Camaro SS has been dominating my thoughts for the past several months, and I am really, really anticipating seeing one and driving one. I was fairly certain that I was going to say goodbye to the Mustang and get a new Camaro. It was like a 90% chance. Now, the reviews have really dimmed my enthusiasm. Here's why:

For me, just like my Mustang and every other car I've owned, the car will be first and foremost a daily driver. Therefore it must be reliable, fun to drive, easy to drive, and easy to live with on a daily basis. If the visibility is poor, that's going to make it harder to drive. If, as one reviewer commented, the grip is great but the handling is non-communicative, that's going to take some of the fun away. If the trunk opening is ridiculously small, that might mean it's going to be a hassle getting two sets of golf clubs and carts in there. It's a given that I want a car with tremendous performance. I take the Mustang to HPDE road course events each year, and I'm power-sliding out of each turn, knocking chunks out of the tires, and generally running the car at its limits on a closed race track. So the car has to perform here too, and I have no doubts that the Camaro would whip my Mustang in lap times. But the other 99% of the year is back to the mundane commute to work, where I am not anywhere near the limits of the car...

I don't know, I'm just a bit disappointed and feel like this is a setback. Maybe when I see the car and drive it, I will love it. But back in the mid '90s, I test drove a 6-speed Formula Firebird at a dealership and I did not like the feeling of the high cowl and limited visibility, despite the exhilarating acceleration, and I ended up getting a '95 Mustang GT instead because I thought it had superior everyday ergonomics. Bummed... :(
Have you read ALL the reviews? Each one is different. Many said that the steering feedback was outstanding and that it was very easy to drive. One noted that the steering wasn't as firm as they had hoped from a performance standpoint but that this made it a better daily driver. The perception I've come away with that the wheel is a bit too easy to turn so that it may take a little getting used to but it provides good feedback without jerking you around.

Pretty much all of them said that the ride was comfortable. One noted that this car would be just fine for long road trips whereas cars like the 370z are not very comfortable in this situation, ride wise. While one mentioned that they didn't like the steering wheel, another pointed out that the steering wheel was good. After having sat in the car, I can say that the steering wheel is on the large side. I was a bit surprised at how large it is actually. But it wasn't anywhere near a level that I thought it would annoy me or anything. It felt fine so I disagree with the one reviewer that thought it was awkward fealing.

Number 3 put 2 sets of golf clubs as well as suitcases in his trunk without any issues.