View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
First off, I've gotta say thats pretty cheap. But to claim 'well below' a Cobalt SS get real, its $950. With that you get an extra 25% more power and ~20% more torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Lets hope they get no ideas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Let 'em try...

...ever see how much that car(sedan version) weighs with the V8 in it? It'll perform no better than Challenger RT or Mustang GT...probably worse in my cynical view.
I doubt it will have the handling to match the North American competition, but thats just gut instinct. The equations are the same whether you are Korean, German, Australian, American, or Japaneses so nothing says it can't handle like a Camaro/G8 or BMW 3/5 series (did that sound sound wierd to anyone else?). But yeah, performance wise, the Tau makes ~325 ft lbs of torque. Not enough to pull it out of the hole, and it wasn't given agressive gearing to compensate, based on the fuel economy numbers its expected to make.

BTW, the Genesis sedan with the Tau weighs ~4000 lbs and costs more than a G8 GXP but it is praised for being 'lexus like' so that added level of luxury will add a lot of weight. Sound deadening, probably extra regidity, luxury features, etc. I'd bet the coupe with the V8 would be about 3700 lbs, considering the weight of the V6 in the sedan vs the coupe. So power to weight is 10 lbs/hp if it were in the coupe, give or take a few 1/10ths of course.

I've gotta wonder though, why not make a Genesis Coupe with the V8 and price it like the Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang? It would be a very clear competitor to them. The ~300 hp 3.8 might run with the Mustang but I doubt it, not enough torque.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote