View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #47
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Disclaimer...I am not an engineer, only an enthusiast (and claimed "driver") so my thoughts below are only derived using deductive reasoning from racing and real world experience. Take them for what you will.

My 1LE is a weekend, open track day and drag raced car. I will use it when I instruct and want it to perform and behave on the track......It is not currently a dedicated race car (or daily driver) so I have been looking at lowering springs to lower the center of gravity (cg) and reduce the gap between fender and tire. Coil overs will come later....but not yet!

What I have found is that the springs on the market now were all developed for the 2010+ SS (non 1LE) YES, we do have SS springs but GM went through the trouble to sort out the car and provide a neutral balance instead of a platform that under steers with the 1LE. I want to keep it that way.

I did talk to a couple of springs companies this week and I do appreciate their honesty and most had the same response that "most customers are more concerned with ride height / looks"

If the numbers I found online are correct the SS comes with:

165FR and 370RR (lbs/in) spring combo.

Most aftermarket companies are increasing the front to:

210-220 lbs/in or about a 30% increase. (BMR 220, Pfadt 210, Eibach 143-222,)

The rear spring rates vary from 395-485 or 21% to 34.5% increase (Pfadt 210, BMR 460, Eibach 143-222).

The closest I can find to a (close to) equal increase is with the Eibach (34.5% FR / 31% rear increase) but I wanted to stay away from a progressive rate springs (Eibach, Pfadt, SLP) and use a linear spring. Now Progressive rate are much nicer for the street, but that is not my focus.

BMR and Pedders offer linear rate springs. Pedders does not publish springs rates so they can not be considered unless I can find/see those.

I spoke with Kyle at BMR and they offer a 220/460 combo for the V8 and a 200/430 combo for the V6. The V6 is lighter, but I asked if I could order a V6 front spring 200 lbs/in and a V8 rear 460 lbs/in and I can. That would increase the front rate 21% and the rear 24%. It sounds great in theory, but my concern then turns to ride height as I fear the front V6 Springs will sit lower than the rear V8 Springs. the only way to find out would be to try it....So what now? I'm not sure....

Please feel free to correct, interject or discuss...

-Matt
Matt,

You are putting a lot of thought into this. Are you trying to maintain the OE spring rte ratio front to rear?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote