View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #46
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
For exactly the reason I stated. A car cannot go fast enough to introduce any pressure differential just by moving through the air. Gas is considered incompressible when the speed is below .3 mach which is about 230 mph depending on altitude. In other words, unless you can go faster then that, ram air doesn't exist.
Where did you get your information?

Here's a very good article about cold air intake that also addresses the issue of ram-air.
http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...es/rpo_zl2.htm

Keep in mind that hood is 40 years old. I guess they didn't know ram air doesn't exist under ~230mph. Silly Mr. Shinoda

Also keep in mind the ram air turbulence is no longer an issue, and any gain in air pressure at the intake is good, blowers attest to that fact to an extreme. The engines are considerably smaller, but motorcycles are seeing very good gains from ram-air.

I should also mention, I never stated incredible gains from ram-air in an auto, if you'll re-read my posts you'll see I'm touting 'cold air' intake. But when you say ram air doesn't exist, well, it does but only at ~230, well it does, but it's somewhat insignificant for a car...That last part I'll come closer to agree with. I'm sure you'll also agree that most of us at some time or another have used 'tricks' to gain even insignificant horsepower...K&N maybe? Hotter plugs? You get the idea.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 10-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote