View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
I'm pretty sure I can make up half a second worth of time for less than $10,000 worth of mods to a Z/28 and still have enough left over from the $56,000 difference between these two cars to buy several sets of tires and add some interior touches to make the car more livable on the way home... lol

I agree that the tires are really helping this car do what it does... but isn't that the point? to design and build a car to go fast based on what you KNOW will make it go fast? I'd have to say this is proof that the Z/28 team knocked this one right out of the ballpark in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
the real question is: with a $10,000-17,000 difference between the ZL1 and Z/28, can you buy enough mods to make the ZL1 outrun the Z/28?

I believe you can... $2000 for tires, $2000 in exhaust and $4000 in engine upgrades and you're going to be staring pretty hard at the GT3 and Z/28's taillights, if not looking at their headlights in the rear view mirror... factor in about $5000 in brake upgrades and you'll be doing even better than that.

the ZL1 is no slouch... it's a competent machine with a boatload of power... you might be surprised by what slapping a set of super sticky tires can do for a car that is well driven.
I am old school hot rodder! I can't leave anything alone (well been pretty good to my wife's car)

I get what you are saying. You are the type of guy that probably lights the warranty on fire. I am getting this car to do a certain thing (drag, rod race, auto x, hpde, car show etc).

700whp out of an LSA is pretty much a phone call away and some dyno time.

Tires and wheels and brakes. Then the time spent to dial it all in.

There was that Pedders Camaro at 1 lap. DSE has built a Camaro. How would those hold up to the Z/28?

It all depends on what you want. If you have the 75k sitting around and want to be racing come May. Buy the Z/28.

If you would rather build something at your own pace and learn the car inside and out - Buy an SS or 1LE or ZL1.

I think GM originally thought it was going to use the Z/28 to be the GT500 fighter. Then set its eyes on bigger fish and decided to green light an all out car to hunt them down.

Seeing how many Porsche guys pop up here - id say they succeeded
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote