Thread: Boost Spike
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #61
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
Not trying to start an argument, but you really seem to be missing my point here, his MAP readings SPIKE while in boost as well, when the bypass valve was shut long before that. Look at the first page in the second set of images and you will see what im talking about, I can also show you a log of another whipple car spiking the MAP reading through a 4th gear pull on the dyno right in the middle of the pull (will post a screenshot later since im using my Macbook now), we also made sure that the bypass valve wasnt moving at all at WOT and remained shut, the only thing that differed was desired vs actual throttle position.

Again, waiting to hear back from Pat on what happens after he swaps to a different and not necessarily larger throttlebody just a different throttlebody.
Mohamad, Sounds like my TPiS is still a few weeks out... as mentioned, i'm running a vmax cnc ported LS3 TB. I still have my stock LS3 TB...but i'm assuming if my VMAX TB is having an issue, then the stock will have the same issue? Or should i change it out and see what happens?

Ted, my tuner (Bill) and I had already planned to change to a speed density tune based on trouble i've had with tuning around my meth on the MAF tune. He says that will address your recommendation. I do have some hesitation moving to a speed density tune. What is your preference on a whipple/meth car?

In the end, i think if i fix my lean spike, the boost spike may not be an issue...currently the result of both of them together is causing knock and obviously pulling timing. My theory is if i can fix 1 of the 2, my problem (knocking) will go away (i.e. I know when i have the lean spike w/o the boost spike, i don't knock...and i think i've seen atleast 1 boost spike w/a minor lean spike that also did not cause any knock). We'll see if my theory hold true once i fix one of the issues.

I was at the track last night...this run in particular scared me w/ the high knock going to 2nd gear. This was after Ted suggested power shifting...i clearly need driving lessons (as I didn't power shift to 2nd or 3rd...and i'm not sure what i did to 4th would be considered power shift or not), but i think i avoided the bypass from closing going into 4th...no boost spike.

So my path forward is:
- 1 upgrade TB
- 2 fix my tune to remove the lean spike (either SD or Ted's suggestion w/the MAF tune)
- 3 learn how to drive

While i'm at it, i think i'm going to do a cat delete too...

BTW, any suggestion on preventing belt slip? I have a 10-rib belt and still seeing slip...looks like belt conditioner is a short term fix?

thanks,
Pat
Attached Images