View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
alan422

Drives: Rally Yellow LT2 RS
Excellent point Rogue and thanks for that info... I'm really not the guy who knows how car audio systems are wired. And yes you can match an amp with an RMS rating that is close to the rating of the speaker. It is more than likely the way most factory systems are matched. However, Where you can get into trouble is how well the amplifier holds up under a larger load or aka higher volume levels or aka the real world. Most amplifiers are rated with a given wattage at an 8 ohm load. But in real life when the volume goes up a speaker can put a 4 ohm load or more on an amplifier. I would love to see how much power this 245 watt amp puts out under a 4 ohm load.

If you are replacing an amplifier with a similar output of what the speakers are rated for you should look for an amplifier that will give you good specs on power output under 4 ohm load as well as the 8 ohm load rating. That is where I don't see factory installed amps holding up. An amplifier needs to supply more power under heavier load. A good amplifier will do that. Or you can go with a higher powered amp than what the speakers are rated at. It's all good. Bottom line, if your amp can't handle the load the speaker is placing on it at high volume levels, it will clip and more than likely take out your tweeters first.

As for myself, I'm not going to change any of the audio components in my car as I don't get too crazy with volume levels in the car. Only in the house!
alan422 is offline   Reply With Quote