View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
So here is my question. I have seen all the posts reguarding the Camaro front end noise. With that said, I just installed the Eibach Pro-Kit with 1.0 inch lowering springs and front/rear sway bars. My question is, is the noise coming from under the hood (top strut washer/nut) or from underneath? I noticed especially after installing the front springs, there is about a 1/2-3/4 inch gap between the frame of strut tower and the bottom of the washer. Will it hurt anything to install the top strut mount washer upside down (seems to fit better anyway)? To me there is a rubber gasket on top and bottom of washer, with it upside down, the rubber gasket sits against the strut house better and I would think it will eliminate any noise coming from the strut. The noise seems to be in my mind the upper strut hitting against the upper strut housing attached to the body of the car. Flipping the washer with support the strut so that movement is minimal. Am I wrong and am I going to do more harm than good?
Some gap is required but 1/2"-3/4" is excessive. It should be more like 1/4"-3/8". This gap is necessary as the upper washer "rocks" side-to-side when the wheels turn. I suspect the noise is elsewhere and would probably check the sway bar end links too. Sometimes the shaft turns in the end link making it difficult to properly tighten them....

Hope this helps!
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote