View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
A couple of factors for collectability, rareness and condition.

The convertible won't be "rare". There should easily be 10,000 plus 2011s on the road. Is there a rare option that would make your car 1 of 50? No, GM doesn't build cars with a clean sheet ordering process like they used to which could create some rare option. Does it have a rare powertrain? No. Having an option like the disc brake package which I understand is one of the differentiators between a $40,000 69 Z28 and a $100,000 Z28 isn't really possible today.

Condition. Well, as said above, you can store it, or you can drive it and restore it. But I can assure you most of the high dollar cars you see are barely getting the restoration costs back. Rebuilding a car from the body up is not a cheap proposition.

And lastly, you have to go 40 to 50 years, not 25 to get any real money. 25 years ago was 1986. How much does a low mileage mint 86 Camaro go for these days?

Lastly, even if you had all of the above going for you, you would still be far better of investing the cash than counting on your Camaro to provide a financial windfall.

Drive it and enjoy it.