View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #37
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
After 4 yrs of the 5" flat stick that came with the Hurst Short Throw shifter, which I always felt was too short, I finally replaced it with a 8" round stick which I believe Hurst only recently made available. Prior to the 8" stick being available the only other replacement stick was a 10" flat stick which I felt would be much too high. The 8"stick is perfect. I highly recommend it. The shifts are smoother (it noticeably reduced the notchiness) and more pronounced. Combined with a RAM pedal adjuster that lowers the clutch release point it gives it that ole muscle car shift feel. Reminds me of what the shifter in my '66 GTO felt like ..it's like riding a bike you never forget.
70 outside the car, 17 behind the wheel every time

Note-after about a week the stick started to loosen. Guess I didn't torque the bolts enough, didn't want to risk stripping them. Just to make sure it would never loosen again I replaced the 1" bolts that came with the shifter with 1&1/4" bolts and put on nylon lock nuts. Could have use Blue loctite but didn't want to get involved with that.

11/08/18 - decided to go with a new look so I replaced the white Hurst plastic knob with an all chrome one. It's a lot heavier and makes shifts feel a little firmer, reduced notchiness a little more and eliminated a slight shimmy I would get in 5th. Here's a pic so you can see before and after.
Replaced leather shift boot with a rubber one. Even more ole school
Attached Images

camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote