View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgdave View Post
I changed out the battery yesterday. Smaller, 5lbs lighter, and easy. The only issue was reprogramming the windows.
I saved 30 lbs with my battery swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Yeah, Its looking as if this isn't easy to do without major sacrifices. I just don't understand how on earth this car weighs so much. It doen't make sense. Its not that big.
It is that big. You ever see it parked next to a Vette?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcK MaMbA SS View Post
For sure replacing the Headers and the Stock exhaust will easily take off about 100 pounds or even more, depends with what you will be replacing.
Try more like 40 lbs and that's with an off road X pipe. Hell the entire stock exhaust weighs 128 lbs. The only way you ate gonna lose 100 lbs is if you run open headers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
There's basically 3 types of weight on the car; static dead weight, unsprung weight, and rotational weight. The best type to reduce is unsprung rotational as that not only reduces a small amount of dead weight, it more importantly reduces the critical spinning weight that affects the handling and delivery of power to the wheels.

Unsprung is any weight not supported by the springs, such as the wheels, brake rotors, etc. I've read various estimates of the benefits but reducing unsprung rotational weight is about roughly a 10-1 ratio of benefit; reducing 1 lb of unsprung rotational has the same effect on performance that reducing 10 lbs of dead weight does.

So rather than spend thousands on carbon fiber body panels that might reduce 20 lbs of dead weight, spend those thousands on lighter brake rotors, lighter wheels, lighter clutch/flywheel, lighter driveshaft. Most of that isn't visible compared to a CF body panel but boy will you feel the difference.

Here is a link to my build thread where I've documented my quest to reduce weight on my 2010 SS without removing seats, sound insulation, gutting it, etc. The interior is stock.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=45165&page=2

The gross vehicle weight right now with a full tank of gas is about 3,685 lbs. All the numbers and mods with several dyno sheets showing the results of various mods are in the thread. A lot of it would be useful info for you and you get the added benefit of knowing that what I've listed works, without you having to do the research.

I'd be real interested to see what a ZL1 would do with about 100 lbs of unsprung rotational weight removed.
Hell yes, losing 66 lbs of wheel/tire made my car faster than all my bolt ons combined!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote