View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #133
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjaybird View Post
Sorry, there is no way a teacher can afford a V8. Fly off a building, yes. teacher, NO.
Fly off a building, NO! Unless you prefer your Camaro in pieces, or it's a near-invulnerable robot underneath.

As for the teacher bit, it depends on savings, lifestyle, other responsibilities, marital status, etc., just like for everyone else. Not to mention where you teach - some regions pay more than others. I make just a bit more than what an average starting teacher's salary is here in the Delaware Valley and could afford a down-payment on the V6 within six months of starting my job - I don't see why a teacher who saves a little longer couldn't get the V8 too.

I think it was a very good commercial. As others have said (and fbodfather confirmed) this is meant to appeal to a variety of demographics, not just the one segment whose ideal commercial is the Camaro burning rubber and wiping the floor with a Mustang and Challenger doing a 1/4 mi. The point is to maximize sales, and this does that IMO. Muscle car enthusiasts will recognize the name and be impressed by the horsepower figure. People who aren't into cars that much but want something sporty and stylish will see nice beauty shots showing off the Camaro's sleek lines. The narration is kinda goofy, but young people will hear young people talking like young people talk, not some gray-haired guy talking about how this car compares to his old '69 Z/28. And women will see obviously attractive but respectable - not scantily-clad eye candy - members of their gender looking good driving around in the car. There's a lot of clever brilliance in this one.

This isn't the first really well-done GM commercial recently, either. Ignoring the Al's Chevy commercial for a minute, the new Cadillac CTS-V runs with Corvettes and Vipers, but its commercials highlight the merging of luxury with engineering excellence... and oh yeah by the way you also just so happen to get arguably super-car performance along with the rest of it, in case you were wondering, at a bargain price compared to a Z06 or Viper, too. So this isn't your grandfather's "old-people-mobile" car company anymore.

In both cases the commercials are bold and fresh and don't just aim to please the one demographic you'd expect and quite possibly won't belong to. This is what GM needs to do post-bailout and I think they're doing very well so far. Except for the rare Corvette commercials, GM's advertising used to be sleep-inducing. Now (with the exception of most truck commercials, IMO - they all seem to be the same no matter who the manufacturer is), GM is making people sit up and take notice.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote