View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #291
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by black34v6 View Post
i realize factory ratings dont lead to actual hp - anyone who is worth the car they drive (v6 or v8) would know that. i know that GM underrated hp/tq back in the day, however i havent "seen" data showing that it had 325hp or more than that (i figured maaaybe 280-300).

as for "what i was implying" - i was making discussion. this is a discussion board. it seems that everytime someone talks about the "z28" (currently) they want some big hp (400+) monster and i was trying to suggest that maybe GM wont make the z/28 some huge hp machine but rather put it back where it was back in the day (as a performance model, but not THE performance model) - ala the z/28 - SS - ZL1, just another option but not the top dog like some people are suggesting it might be.

as for this:

I have several books, and the internet is my life - im a web developer. as such I am quite gifted at finding RELIABLE (as in actual reference information) regarding the things I am talking about.

I don't like to be wrong about things because I like to talk with people and like to try to be in the know - but if i say something that you consider wrong feel free to point it out. just dont be a sh!thead about it and i'll be happy to admit defeat.
You really don't want to start the debate again on what the actual HP of the original DZ302 was, it is enough to say that it was factory rated at 290horsepower and that almost everyone in the last 40 years agreed that it was
under-rated, the only real difference of opinion is by how much. If the new top dog Camaro is way up in HP (as we have heard the possibility of 500+HP), then I would certainly hope that the Z/28 would be 400HP minimum and not be the 300+HP base engine. The first gen. Z/28s were certainly above base engine HP levels. The SS 350/295HP and the Z/28 302/290HP were very close in HP, the only other regular production SS engines offered starting as mid year offerings in '67 were 396/325HP, 396/350HP, and 396/375HP, the 427 engines were only offered in COPO and dealer installed, I don't consider them to be regular production nor were the 69 ZL1 427 Camaros built in '69 regular production.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote