View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Z28 View Post
So the z28 is the only 5th gen I've driven. I love the car, but on dallas roads it is harsh. Its a track workhorse plain and simple. I probably don't do it justice having slapped on wide street tires and cruising in it and commuting to work, like more than half the other owners, but ever since I saw it at NAIAS 2014, I loved the car.

1) yes there is a slot for an AUX cable. Sound from the speakers is not great though. So you will probably want to upgrade the speakers or the sound system in general. The slot is in the cubby next to where your right elbow would be its under the power slot.

2) for me its jarring. You can't just hammer it in city streets without looking ahead to make sure roads are smooth. Every time you take a corner and think about hammering it or getting on an on or off ramp you'll mentally calculate the ride harshness for the next 100 ft or so and then drive accordingly. Its rough. I've put 31k miles on mine. So you're getting the opinion of someone whose almost daily driven his. You'll probably drive yours less and your roads might be better than Dallas roads which are the crappiest I've seen. Honestly this is my only gripe about the car. But when the roads get smooth, its a beast in every way.

3) The issue with dropped valves was addressed in the new heads for the z28. There was a thread or article here. Z06 LS7s and Z28 LS7s have some minor changes(atleast with the heads). The specifics of those changes I do not recall but the info is here somewhere.

I'd definitely recommend getting a Z28 and driving it on some great twisty roads. I hope there are some in Fargo ND. Otherwise you're missing out
With respect to ride quality tires go a long way. I actually found the new Super Car 3R tires to be quieter and softer then the trofeos. Super Sport or similar is even better if not a track rat.

Trofeos and R888Rs make the car very stiff.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote