Thread: Engine for Z/28
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #94
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
My Z28 Formula:
  • 3,400-3,500 pounds Change out the front seats to light weight racing seats and you can pull a lot of weight out of the 5th Gen. That won't happen at the factory. We can delete the sound deadening and other non essential trim i.e. bar bones or minimal console A Quartermaster SCCA T1 or T2 clutch is what 20 pounds lighter... If YOU change out the front seats 3,600 to 3,700 is
  • 500 crank hp
  • Small V8 or even a V6 with twin stage turbos
  • Strong fade free brakes with good fluid and reinforced brake lines
  • Light weight 18" wheels
  • Car styled for 18" wheels Bumper height / crash testing are a barrier to this as would be the sheetmetal changes. We're dreaming so why not?
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports I am not sure why these tires get so much love with a 300 tread wear rating. PS2 with a special ultra sticky compound ie. the GY ZL1 proprietary tires. They are very good, just the wrong size.
  • Stiff bushings Stiffer rubber bushes have undesirable consequences. What we typically want is a more stable arm motion. With bonded to rubber steel ferules what we get is an increase in spring rate, a bounciness to the suspension. GM could use a few more sealed monoballs in the 5th Gen or call Pedders
  • Light understeer 1LE bars come close to this.
  • Adjustable sways Maybe they would do a front adjustable. The new Z style rear bar uses a droplink that is most effective straight up and down which limits adjustability.
  • No wheel hop The XL and XXL ZL1 shafts should do the job.
  • MRC OK, but not required. I'd probably rather upgrade to coil overs.
  • Track geared
  • Cloth Sport seats with side bolsters
  • Integrated roll bar
  • Coolers as needed
  • Brake ducting
  • Aero design with downforce
  • Air flow smoothed under the car
  • Cut outs for off road
  • Numbers on the doors

Okay, I might have to add a few of these things myself.

When I heard there was a Corvette running around with a small turboed V8 it got me to thinking. How perfect would that be for an ATS Camaro?
I have no doubt the new DI V8 is absolutely going to be turbocharged at some point and out of the box the NA version more fuel efficient and more powerful than the current LS3 A DI V8 Z/28 would be at least 4 or five years out. That is a long tome to wait.

The reviews I get from people that should know tell me the ATS is an awesome chassis. I also hear a few not so positive comments. We'll all know very soon how close the ATS is in terms of road manners from every auto rag out there.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote