View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #99
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
Why would you? you live way up north!

I've owned two convertibles in my life time and it is nice to drive around with the top down.
For me though, it gets old...and I stopped using it.
But when I first bought a convertible..top was always down..except when it rained. I didn't care if it was 20º outside..top was down and had heater on full blast
Detroit is further north than where I live so, let's not get into the ignorant Canadian weather debate.
The analogy of a car with no roof is like a house without proper support beams. Once you cut the roof off the vehicle you simply lose a very large portion of the stability. Why would someone pay for that?
The article clearly shows that the vehicle without the roof now weighs in more than the coupe because they have to put numerous support braces all over the vehicle to compensate for the lack of a missing roof.
So personally for me, I could never "understand" why someone would pay for a less performing "muscle" car.
If we were commenting on a vert BMW, or Mercedes, then I would understand, but not on a Vette or Camaro. But, then again, it's obvious vert lovers aren't purchasing the vehicle for performance.