View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Here's a couple of questions for you. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission and what are your normal driving habits like? I ask because while I know the stock pads do generate some dust I feel that driving habits and transmission can play a role in this.

By driving habits I mean looking farther ahead and letting off the gas sooner to coast down to slower speeds before having to brake as much. I always try to leave at least 3 or 4 car lengths between me and the car in front so I'm not panic stopping all the time and I read the traffic ahead of them to know when I'll actually have to stop/slow down. I also use downshifting with my manual trans to help slow me down so I don't need to step on the brakes as hard. Downshifting also gives me practice on heel/toe rev matching for down shifts. So I find I can actually go for quite a while without the wheels getting too dirty from brake dust because I'm not waiting until the last few hundred feet to stop from full speed all the time. Even with an Auto trans I know they have the paddle shifters so you could use manual control if you are in a lot of traffic so you don't have to ride the brakes as much. Every little bit of time you can spend not using the brakes will help.

I'm not saying that I'm assuming you are a person that tail gates the person in front of you or anything or always waits until the last minute and stops hard all the time. I don't know anything about your driving style. I'm just trying to point out that your driving habits can play a role in how much brake dust you generate. The more often you are on the brakes and the more pedal pressure you apply each time you apply the brakes, the more brake dust you are going to generate.