View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Nice post strauchpete. I've posted about the act many times on the forum, because it's not widely known.

I think one of the most important things for a consumer to know is that the manufacturer can not void the warranty by restricting you to use only their parts unless they provide the parts that they do not want you to replace for free. So, if your dealer will give you a free exhaust system, then the warranty can be voided if you put on a different cat-back or exhaust part. If they won't give you a free system, then you are free to replace it with any product you wish. If a problem occurs with your vehicle, the warranty writer is responsible for proving that the part caused the failure.

Often, the response I get from these posts is that they can do whatever they like and you have to fight them. That may be true, but that doesn't mean you have to hire an attorney. A copy of the warranty act in your hand and I doubt that they would want to see you in a small claims court.

The SEMA Action Network also has a very user friendly guide for this very issue.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote