View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #136
4thGen

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Yikes! That's definitely a bottleneck; the engine would make those extra 31hp (not 40) and 19 ft-lbs if it weren't for the stock intake and exhaust. Also, the intake and exhaust on the Camaro are probably not going to be exactly the same as the CTS, though I don't expect them to be any better.

I wonder why they designed it that way? Noise? Cost? I take back what I said about incompetence; that was short-sighted of me, I forgot to consider that they need to design a compromise to please everyone instead of concentrating on a few specific qualities.
I need to clarify when I said 40hp(the increase was 31rwhp), I meant 40bhp, not 40rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
bottleneck..detuning...whatever you want to call it.
Well, in THIS case, I would consider it detuning. Just because GM could have went all out and given this thing 400hp as opposed to 300hp, doesn't mean they should. Giving it 300hp keeps the price reasonable. I consider bottlenecks to be major flaws in engine design that restricts power output and reduces the potency of the engine, which doesn't seem to be the case here. Restrictions from a stock intake DUCT and exhaust are negligible. Restrictions in the intake manifold(s) and heads are bigger issues.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote