View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
Aaron Pfadt
Pfadt Race Engineering

Drives: 7.0 Liters of Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I have seen just about every single video on the Camaro and regardless if the car has Pedders, springs, Pfadt, KW everytime the car is hammered the back end squats so much and on the tarmac it tends to bounce in the rear.

Even through an autocross I see the car bouncing yet the front is flat and stable with no roll. Its an up and down bounce.

Look on Hennessey website of the Yellow video launching how the car is so sloppy taking off.

Now why cant this be solved via the valving on all these coilovers or what?

I understand drag cars need to load up so that makes sense but the rear end bounce just sucks because it does this in stock form and when your going through turns that have a slight dip in the road it can get scary at high speed along with the wiggle from the subframe.

Vette doesnt bounce eigther does a Porsche or any other sports car.

I dont want the bounce i want it tight and planted.

Comments guys?
I would argue that the the rear bouncing on most of these cars is due to the tight packaging space of the rear dampers on this platform. The dampers control the amount of travel and the stock dampers are pretty long. This means that you operate at near the limit of the travel of the damper even with stock springs. With drop springs you have the shock compressed even more.

If your shock travels into even a cut down bump stop, the increase in spring rate will overwhelm the rebound damping of the factory dampers. That is why we cut our bump stops with our drop springs. That said, if you are using the car in a competitive environment, you will be traveling into the bump stops some and there will be some amount of under-controlled motion. The only true solution to that is using a shorter strut or coilover that is designed to operate in that travel region.

Keep in mind that this is not a big problem, the car with stock struts will work very well in most cases and be only slightly compromised in cases of large compressions. I ran our car at the Optima Challenge (at Spring Mountain which is arguably a very bumpy track) and was very competitive with cars of significantly higher HP with only our Pfadt drop springs and sway bars. Would we have been faster on coilovers, certainly, but the car was extremely capable as equipped.

-Aaron
Aaron Pfadt is offline   Reply With Quote