View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
From personal experience(25+ years) working on Diff's we hadn't had much luck with Motive in the last few years.With a perfect install,they were still noisy.We just use the GM when customer wants 3.91 ratio .We had very good luck with Yukon when we use a different gear ratio for the Gen 5 Camaro.Some brand names are a 2 cut or a 5 cut gear setup and has to be setup differently for a quiet and durable operation.
I did a few hours of research on the web last night (wish I had done this before getting Motive), and found several people with your professional installation experience that said the same thing.

It appears that Motive used to make their gears in Italy, but now they are made in Korea, and they have had the same whining issues after installation, even when the coast and acceleration pattern, preload, and the backlash is spot on, with the Korean made gears.

I don't know what the cut on the 3.91 gears I bought are. The box just says Motive Gear Performance G886391.

I guess I'm going to get the GM 3.91's.

When the Motive's were installed I bought a Ratech 381 kit that had new head, tail, and carrier bearings, crush sleeve, shims, ring gear and cover bolts, pinion nut, seal, and shims.

When the Motive is swapped out for a GM 3.91, what stuff will I need with it?
The bearings should still be good, shouldn't they?

So a crush sleeve and a new gasket?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote