View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #153
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by op z View Post
For those considering this mod, you will find that once you drive a car with the HUD you will wonder how you were able to live without it. I installed one on my C6 Corvette and now I rarely ever use the speedometer and tach. The HUD is adjustable up/down, brightness is ajustable and it does not require a special windshield. The windshield rumor was rampant on the Corvette forums too. The may be some minor improvement with the "special windshield", but not enough to warrant changing the windshield or delaying installation of this mod.

The Corvette HUD requires splicing of 6 conductors from a custom harness into the existing wiring behind the instrument panel speedometer/tach. The ability to install a HUD into a 2010 Camaro will depend on whether the threaded mounting posts for the projector are there for the 2010 model. I suspect they are. The projector requires a fairly large piece of real estate behind the instrument panel. Since the HUD was planned for the Camaro from the beginning, it makes sense that the posts are there.

If the posts are there, the install will require installing the control switch, projector, custom wiring harness, and whatever mod is needed for the dashboard. The mod only takes a couple hours to install on a Corvette. It should be similar for a Camaro. If someone has a wiring diagram for the connectors behind the speedometer/tach, we can start working on the harness. I have manufactured and sold over 50 HUD harnesses on the Corvette forum. I am confident that Camaro harness will be doable. I suspect the dash piece may be the most costly part of this mod for 2010 Camaros. For the Corvette, the total cost of the mod is $375 for all the parts.

There is one other challenge. GM does not allow the dealers to sell the projectors for installation into non-HUD cars. Some dealers listen to GM and refuse to sell the projectors. There are others that work with the forums to get this mod into their rides.

For the time being, I need more information. Are the mounting posts there in the 2010 Camaros? Has anyone had their dash apart? Does anyone have a service manual showing the instrument panel connector wiring?
Have you received the information you need yet?