View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Happy would be driving down the freeway...i.e. 60 mph...would you be in 6th gear, 5th, 4th etc. I know the lower gear will cause higher gas consumption, but then again you don't want to be lugging the engine either....So Happy would be the point between lugging the engine - overly revving the engine in the higher RPM range while driving down the freeway, blvd, back road etc.

I guess a better way to ask this is:
If I'm driving at 35mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
If I'm driving at 60mph what would be the appropriate gear to be in?
etc. etc. etc.
Key word being "appropriate".

Thank you!
In my '95 with a T56, I'd cruise at those speeds in 5th and 6th, respectively. The gear ratios were the same, but I had OEM 3.42s (not 3.73s) and shorter tires, at 26" (not +28").

I'd say, if you're maintaining the same speed, keeping RPMs from LSA between 1600-1800 should be great for MPG and putting-along. GM small-blocks make great low-end power. 1800 is not lugging at all for these motors. Don't expect to pass anyone at those RPMs, but I've taken a lot of mountain grades at high elevations in my '95, with considerably LESS power (and weight, lol) so I suspect ZL1 isn't going to be too different

JMVHO - obviously - I don't have one, so these are just educated guesses only

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote