View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #167
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
There's a difference between retro styling and a modern interpretation of an older style.

The Challenger is obviously retro styling....they basically took the old car and remade it (at times, it looks like they just broke out the old molds/stamps/dies to build the thing). I don't really think the Mustang falls into the retro styling (although more so than the Camaro), I personally think both Ford and Chevy are doing the modern interpretation....using styling cues, rather than just copying what they've done before.

Although, I've said for a long time that if GM really wanted to sell Camaros/Firebirds (in addition to finally marketing them), they could easily go back, get the molds/stamps/dies/etc and crank them out with today's materials/engines/suspensions/etc and they would sell them all quickly (Ford with the Mustang and T-Bird to some extent could do the same, as could Chrysler with the Challenger/Cuda....they're just pricing themselves out of it). I would say the popularity of the current/upcoming "muscle car" segment backs that up. Ford sells a lot of Mustangs. GM will sell a lot of Camaros. Chrysler will sell all of their Challengers (although to a slightly different market...more collectors) and they sell a lot of Chargers (although to a slightly different market...more family oriented..being 4-door and all). But they sell. And, after all, that is the point.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote