View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Daily Driver Project: Valentine

I received Valentine, my new 2012 1SS/RS, a couple weeks ago and it's time to start my build thread. I won't be modding this car *too* much because it's my daily driver and must keep its full warranty (an agreement between my wife and I). I have some other projects that don't have that problem, so this one will stay modest for 5 years. That being said, I sure as heck can't leave it all stock, it's not in my blood.

Story time:
Between 2ndgens, 3rdgens, and my previous 2010, this is my 9th Camaro, but my first "I ordered it myself!" car and therefore one of my favorites.
Back in 2004 I penciled up a concept "2004 Camaro SS" in retro 1stgen guise, and in 2006 Chevy brought my dream to reality (albeit with a lot more angles and sharp lines) with the concept that we all know so well. Fast forward to 2009, I about cried when I saw the first published curb weight. In a heartbeat it all but killed my desire for this car, and that's the main thing that kept me from jumping in right away. To this day that is, by far, my least favorite part of the whole experience. But I digress...

Along comes April 2010 and I needed a new daily driver ASAP as none of my old projects were cutting it anymore when it came to reliable transportation, and I just wanted a good solid warranty for once. Of course I wouldn't just buy a run-of-the-mill econo box or anything of the sort, and I wanted something that was 'me'. There was only one choice.

Enter the 5thgen.

I could have driven away in a 2010 SS but I instead chose a 1LT. *Gasp* Why would anyone do that? Comparative agility and that oh-so-sweet LLT, that's why.
The SS felt like a truck to me. It's hard to describe any other way. The weight is just everywhere. The 1LT, while still being hugely overweight, felt a bit lighter on its feet overall.
I was okay without the 120 extra horsepower of the SS seeing as how I had faster cars anyway and this was my daily driver. I love all the tech in the LLT (and now LFX) and that 7000 rpm scream through the Corsa catback... oh my. A V8 will always sound better in my book... but that V6 does sound great.
They had to DX what I wanted down here from New York so it had 300 miles on it when I got it. I never quite liked that and while it was my first new car, it just didn't quite seem 'brand new'. Ya know?

Zoom ahead about 20 months and ten-thousand miles, a red-light runner took out my beloved 2010 Camaro. Though not a bad accident, it was totaled. For that story and the details look here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188861

So the stage was set. Time to go for test drives. We like the Volt... a lot... But a Camaro vs. a Volt? Huh? We could only have one. The Volt would be hers since she has the long commute and I'd get her CIVIC. Ouch. Long story short, we decided on the Camaro for me.
FE4 is the RPO of the day. I test drove a 45th SS and something just clicked. GM done did right with this one. Still very heavy, but feels more sporty, less truck-like. You wouldn't think the small changes would make a big difference, but I sure did notice them. Time for a 2012 SS? SOLD.

Here's what I wanted: Black 1SS manual, RS, rear view, and C&C packages, and that's it, so that's what I ordered. No 300 mile 'new' car for me! They built it for me. Just over 5 weeks from initial order to delivery. Not bad.
For the details, look here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196702
and here (later into the thread):
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202049

Why "Valentine"? You guessed right... it rolled off the assembly line on 2/14/2012.

I asked for NO dealer prep when it arrived. My salesman failed to tell anyone, but I called the service guys myself ahead of time and they promised to leave it alone. The only thing that bugs me is that the guys unloading it from the truck pulled off the white plastics, and I wanted to do that. Ah well, no big deal.
I did want them to do the PDI only, and the service guy let me do the PDI test drive, making me the first to actually drive my brand new SS.
They left in place all of the papers in the interior, and I collected them up and put them in a file. I want to frame the build sheet and window sticker, but it's a low priority right now.

Without further ado, here's my new SS the day it arrived, still dirty from the trip from Oshawa, just the way I asked for it.
This is my SS. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Attached Images