Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 AM   #99
Morgan A

Drives: Zl1 2013 convertible
is it the same mag shocks for both convertible and coupe ?
Morgan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:37 AM   #100
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Rears are different.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 12:34 PM   #101
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post

BTW. when these struts fail do they normally have the leaking symptom first or can they just stop working unrelated to the amount of fluid they hold?
They don't stop working, although you could get "Service StabiliTrak" message in the Driver Information Center display.

What happens is that the car starts bottoming out pretty hard, to the point where one can plainly hear it, and the shocks are wet upon inspection.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 12:38 PM   #102
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post

BWI builds these for AC Delco, did you ever try calling them?
"BWI" is a company somewhere in China (PRC) which deals only with vehicle manufacturers: eventually, I was able to locate their website and people must have tried to contact them before, because on the front page of their website they explicitly state that they will not deal with retail costumers.

Last edited by Annatar; 07-21-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 12:41 PM   #103
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post

BTW who are BWI group.
It's a company in the People's Republic of China.
Old 07-21-2024, 12:50 PM   #104
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post

Part Number: ADO-580-445

Guys, is this the correct rear strut for replacement on our ZL1? Just want to confirm before I drop $1300.
Yes:
Code:
AC Delco ADO-580-445	GM 19300041	replaces 20942614
Old 07-21-2024, 08:48 PM   #105
sinisterZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 - M6
I need fronts bad.
Old 07-22-2024, 06:42 AM   #106
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
I watch Wheeler Dealer all the time and Mike is constantly finding companies that rebuild all different parts, there has to someone who rebuilds these shocks?
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 08:24 AM   #107
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I recently heard an interesting tidbit from a guy who runs a local speed shop.

He told me the company that produce(-d/s) these shocks (BWI I believe) 'officially' stopped production (as we all know) but that they actually do run short-term batch production on a very seldom schedule.

He told me that even recently he's been able to source shocks 'reliably' from a number of the big wholesale sources. When they're listed as out of stock, you need to actually call and speak to someone. Oftentimes they'll say 'out of stock' because they have no real way to consistently say when they'll get the next small batch, don't want to have too many orders placed, etc., but if you call and speak with someone they oftentimes will say 'yeah we got a batch of them xx weeks ago sitting on a shelf' or whatever.

I have done zero truth-seeking for myself on the matter. It's just what he told me, when I was there. It may be worth some phone calls for you guys that are in dire need.
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 04:40 PM   #108
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmnrd View Post
I recently heard an interesting tidbit from a guy who runs a local speed shop.

He told me the company that produce(-d/s) these shocks (BWI I believe) 'officially' stopped production (as we all know) but that they actually do run short-term batch production on a very seldom schedule.

He told me that even recently he's been able to source shocks 'reliably' from a number of the big wholesale sources. When they're listed as out of stock, you need to actually call and speak to someone. Oftentimes they'll say 'out of stock' because they have no real way to consistently say when they'll get the next small batch, don't want to have too many orders placed, etc., but if you call and speak with someone they oftentimes will say 'yeah we got a batch of them xx weeks ago sitting on a shelf' or whatever.

I have done zero truth-seeking for myself on the matter. It's just what he told me, when I was there. It may be worth some phone calls for you guys that are in dire need.
I would bet this to be untrue. For the reasons BWI is under contract to build these exclusively for Delco and since Delco could sale every single one built they wouldn’t allow them to be sent to another parts supplier for resale. Pretty sure GM has that contract locked with Delco as well. The only way these are every going to get reproduced is if you could persuade someone and Chevy engineering specifically the performance group at Warren or Milford to request a special run. They would most likely end up in the performance catalogue vs Delco web, that way Chevy could get a premium for them.

If there was ever a time it would be now as Mary is being forced to rethink ICE. My friends in engine performance are very busy..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote